You always know when winter arrives, it never does creep up slowly; the weather just changes in an instant. There have been many occurrences I’ve noticed over the last couple of weeks that have been a hint to the fact winter may finally be upon us.
- It’s pitch black when I wake up at 6:30am for college.
- I have to put the heating on so I don’t get cold on my journey from my bed to the bathroom.
- The shower temperature has been moved from a once sufficient 5 to a 6 which steams the bathroom instantly.
- I can smoke with my breath waiting for the bus – it’s better for your lungs that way.
- My college is freezing but they won’t put the heating on until October (I’ll be an icicle by then).
- I need to turn my light on when I get home to see if I’m going to fall over anything lying on my bedroom floor.
- It randomly rains without warning – much more so than any other time of the year in Britain
But I suppose it’s not all bad news. At least with Winter comes so many other various opportunities to try:
- Drinking hot chocolate to warm the body after a hard day.
- Winter clothes shopping – finding cute jumpers and scarves that I need to buy.
- The Christmas Markets – enough said!
- Watching/reading in front of the fire while imagining to toast marshmallows.
- The hope for snow and time off college/work.
- I may try my very first mulled wine – who knows?
So while we all start to get ready for Winter, covering ourselves under various layers of thick woolen jumpers and coats. Let’s just remember one thing; Winter’s not as bad as you think.